The Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History will celebrate railroads and their unique history during the second annual Railroad Rendezvous this July.
The family-friendly event, scheduled from 9:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. on July 26, will feature a range of indoor and outdoor events, including operating model train layouts, a variety of games and a hobo jungle. Attendees will also have the rare chance to climb aboard the General locomotive (for a separate fee) made famous during the Civil War’s Great Locomotive Chase.
“Kids and train buffs of all ages will have plenty of opportunities to show their love of trains during our second annual Railroad Rendezvous,” said Kelly Briscoe of the Southern Museum. “Everyone enjoyed watching model trains and pretending to be a hobo during last year’s Railroad Rendezvous, and this year’s event promises to be even more enjoyable, especially with the rare opportunity to climb aboard the famous General locomotive.”
Events scheduled for Railroad Rendezvous include:
- Hobo Jungle: Re-enactors will offer tales about life on the rails, teach Hobo language and help guests make their own bindle sack.
- Operation Lifesaver: The non-profit organization will offer safety information and tours of its Operation Lifesaver Mobile Educational Exhibit.
- Outdoor Games: Guests can participate in sack races, a ring toss and a bean bag toss.
- Slot Cars: Attendees will have the opportunity to satiate their need for speed with a slot car track.
- Train Layouts: G-scale and O-gauge model layouts will be on display specifically for Railroad Rendezvous.
In addition to the day’s special events, visitors can explore the Museum’s permanent exhibits to learn about the Great Locomotive Chase, one of the Civil War’s most thrilling episodes. The Museum also includes a full-scale replica of The Glover Machine Works, a locomotive factory in nearby Marietta that helped rebuild the South after the war.
Museum event admission is $7 for adults, $6 for seniors, $5 for children ages 4-12 and free for children three and under as well as Museum members. There is an additional fee of $5 for all guests 4 years and older to board the General Locomotive (including members). Coupons and discounts will not be accepted on the day of the event. The Museum is located at 2829 Cherokee Street in downtown Kennesaw (exit 273 on Interstate 75).
For more information and updates on Railroad Rendezvous, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 770-427-2117 ext. 3058.
Click here to RSVP on Facebook (no reservation required to attend).