Southern Museum to Host Third Annual Railroad Rendezvous on July 18
The third annual Railroad Rendezvous will steam into Kennesaw this July.
As part of the popular family friendly event, sponsored by Dixie Precast, the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History celebrates the unique history of railroads through a series of special events and educational exhibits.
The event is scheduled from 9:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. on July 18 and will feature a range of indoor and outdoor activities, including operating model train layouts, a variety of games and a hobo jungle. Attendees will also have the rare chance to climb aboard the General locomotive (for a separate fee) made famous during the Civil War’s Great Locomotive Chase.
“Kids and train buffs of all ages will have plenty of opportunities to show their love of trains during our third annual Railroad Rendezvous,” said Sara Wilson, the Southern Museum’s events coordinator. “Everyone enjoys interacting with model trains and pretending to be a railroad hobo. This year’s event promises to be even more enjoyable than the event’s first two years.”
Events scheduled for Railroad Rendezvous include:
- Hobo Jungle: Re-enactors will offer tales about life on the rails and teach Hobo language. Additional family activities will be available.
- Operation Lifesaver: The non-profit organization will offer safety information and tours of its Operation Lifesaver Mobile Educational Exhibit.
- Outdoor Games: Guests can participate in sack races, a ring toss and a bean bag toss.
- Train Layouts: Model train layouts will be on display specifically for Railroad Rendezvous.
- Live Railroad Music: Live music will be provided throughout the event.
- Crafts: Fun and educational crafts will be available in the Classroom during the event.
In addition to the day’s special events, visitors can explore the Museum’s permanent exhibits to learn about the Great Locomotive Chase, one of the Civil War’s most thrilling episodes. The Museum also includes a full-scale replica of The Glover Machine Works, a locomotive factory in nearby Marietta that helped rebuild the South after the war.
Museum event admission is $7 for adults, $6 for seniors, $5 for children ages 4-12 and free for children three and under as well as Museum members. There is an additional fee of $5 for all guests 4 years and older to board the General Locomotive (including members). Coupons and discounts will not be accepted on the day of the event. The Museum is located at 2829 Cherokee Street in downtown Kennesaw (exit 273 on Interstate 75).
Parking Information for the event can be found HERE. Parking lots are marked with a blue "P". There will also be a free shuttle that picks up at Adams Park and drops off in front of the Museum.
Purchase event tickets below! Please note - Paypal will e-mail you a confirmation receipt upon purchase. You MUST bring this printed out receipt to the event for event admission.