If you’re passionate about American history, the Civil War and/or railroading, the Southern Museum has exciting opportunities for employment, as well as volunteer and internship positions.
College Internship Opportunities:
The Southern Museum offers credited internships to college students exploring the museum field as a potential career opportunity or to satisfy college field placement requirements. Internships are a structured work experience allowing students to relate theory to practice while interacting within a professional museum environment.
Museum staff members provide interns with helpful feedback, academic credit evaluation, and may serve as liaisons with the students’ academic advisers. A session designed to prepare students for conducting their own professional career search is included as part of the internship. College students gain exposure to overall museum operations while concentrating on an individual project within a specific museum department determined upon academic background and area of interest. Participating museum departments include:
Design/ implementation of museum interpretive programs and learning initiatives
Library and Archives
Processing/ cataloging documents, maps, photographs and manuscripts
Exhibition design/ installation and collections management of artifacts
Internship Program Details
Internships require a minimum of 120 hours and need to be completed during the allotted academic semester (spring, fall, or summer).
- Internships are competitive and require an application process.
- All internships are unpaid and must be pre-arranged.
- Internships are conducted on-site at the Southern Museum. Travel to and from the museum or any housing accommodations are the responsibility of the student.
- All college students are eligible for the internship (undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral).
- Students are responsible for paperwork, approvals, and deadlines required by their institution for academic credit.
- Students are accountable for working with museum staff in devising a schedule which will allow them to complete the internship hours required by their school. (Please note that there is limited availability for hours on weekends depending upon the museum department and internship project).
Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator, at 770.427.2117, extension 3169 or email@example.com for more information or questions concerning college internship opportunities at the Southern Museum.
Support and donations from the community have helped the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History become a Smithsonian-affiliated, world-class facility. The Museum now seeks volunteers to help maintain the Museum's commitment to providing an exciting and impressive experience to visitors. Volunteers are integral to the continued success of the Museum and provide a valuable service, not only to the Museum, but to the entire community.
Opportunities for volunteers, ages 18 and up, include:
Volunteers provide assistance in the maintenance of the Museum’s three permanent collections: The Great Locomotive Chase; Railroads: Lifelines of the Civil War; and Glover Machine Works: Casting a New South.
Library and Archives
Volunteers help preserve and conserve the Museum’s archival collection by processing and cataloging archival materials (documents, maps, photographs, books, magazines) according to collections standards. Volunteers will be trained in the appropriate handling of archival materials.
Volunteers lead individual and group tours of the Museum, providing interpretation of the three permanent collections, and, when appropriate, of visiting exhibitions. Volunteers may also assist visitors and provide private tours during special events.
The Museum is looking for a person to help the small carpentry projects including train tables, props for events, and more. This is the perfect volunteer opportunity for those who are handy and are available on an as-needed bases.
Volunteers assist the Gift Shop Manager in re-stocking, organizing, pricing, and anything retail. People are able to volunteer in this position Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays.
Volunteers assist in a variety of areas during Museum-sponsored events throughout the year, such as exhibit openings, lectures, fundraising events, etc.
Upcoming Special Event Opportunities:
Great Locomotive Chase 5K (September 7; 6:15am - 9:30am - Volunteers will help runners register, sign-in, pass out water, help with set up and break down as well as any other tasks that may arise.
Taste of Kennesaw Gift Shop Booth: (September 7) - Volunteers will assist Gift Shop Manager with table and booth outside selling gift shop items.
In addition to the satisfaction of working at a world-class Museum and meeting people who share a love of history and the community, volunteers will receive a FREE annual family membership to the Museum that includes:
- Unlimited free admission for one year for two adults and all dependent minor children (under age 18) when accompanied by Member parent.
- 10% discount on Museum shop purchases.
- Invitation to exclusive Members Only events, including exhibition previews.
- Priority notice and seating for all lectures and community programs.
- Subscription to Museum newsletter.
- Opportunities to participate in continuing education trips and lectures.
Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator, at 770.427.2117, extension 3169 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about volunteer opportunities at the Southern Museum.