Job, Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
If you’re passionate about American history, the Civil War and/or railroading, the Southern Museum has exciting opportunities for employment, as well as volunteer and internship positions.
There are no job opportunities at this time. Please continue to check this page for updates.
College Internship Opportunities
Southern Museum Development Intern
An integral part of the Kennesaw community, the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History is supported through the efforts of the Kennesaw Museum Foundation (KMF). Established in 1998 by the state of Georgia, the Foundation has grown to a donor base of nearly 1,000 individuals, private foundations and companies.
- Research potential funding sources (foundations, corporations, individuals, public sources).
- Contribute to the development of marketing materials (i.e., graphic design, sponsor materials) in conjunction with Marketing Specialist, Assistant Director, and Events Coordinator.
- Participate and engage in meetings and events (annual Gala, Golf Tournament, 5K Race).
- Discover grant opportunities and assist with writing and editing grant proposals.
- Daily Museum membership data entry, mailing, and promotion.
- Curate social media content with Marketing Specialist.
- Assist Events Coordinator with rentals, efforts to increase rentals through marketing, and event brainstorming.
- Other responsibilities as they arise, based on intern interest and areas of organizational needs.
- Upperclassmen pursuing a bachelor's degree or students pursuing a master's degree in marketing, public relations, communications, nonprofit management, public affairs, or a related field.
- Strong writing, verbal, and research skills.
- Graphic design and layout skills a plus.
- Attention to detail.
- Internship will last duration of the spring school semester (January-May 2016) and will work 2-3 days per week.
- This is a non-paid internship and student must apply hours to earn class credit.
- This internship requires a commitment of 120 hours per semester.
To apply please submit the following to Kelly Briscoe at email@example.com:
- Intern Application
- Cover letter
- Writing sample, two-to-five pages in length
- Reference from professor at enrolled school
The application deadline is Friday, November 18, 2016. When applying, please title your e-mail “KMF Development Internship: Your Name”. Thank you for your interest.
Other Internship Opportunities
The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History offers a variety of museum related opportunities for students at the undergraduate and graduate level. Our internships provide valuable firsthand experience in various aspects of the museum field such as museum education, curatorial department, and archives. Please see the links below for further information or contact the Volunteer Coordinator, at 770.427.2117, extension 3169, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support and donations from the community have helped the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History become a Smithsonian-affiliated, world-class facility. The Museum now seeks volunteers to help maintain the Museum's commitment to providing an exciting and impressive experience to visitors. Volunteers are integral to the continued success of the Museum and provide a valuable service, not only to the Museum, but to the entire community.
Opportunities for volunteers, ages 18 and up, include:
Volunteers provide assistance in the maintenance of the Museum’s three permanent collections: The Great Locomotive Chase; Railroads: Lifelines of the Civil War; and Glover Machine Works: Casting a New South.
Library and Archives
Volunteers help preserve and conserve the Museum’s archival collection by processing and cataloging archival materials (documents, maps, photographs, books, magazines) according to collections standards. Volunteers will be trained in the appropriate handling of archival materials.
Volunteers lead individual and group tours of the Museum, providing interpretation of the three permanent collections, and, when appropriate, of visiting exhibitions. Volunteers may also assist visitors and provide private tours during special events.
The Museum is looking for a person to help the small carpentry projects including train tables, props for events, and more. This is the perfect volunteer opportunity for those who are handy and are available on an as-needed bases.
Volunteers assist the Gift Shop Manager in re-stocking, organizing, pricing, and anything retail. People are able to volunteer in this position Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays.
Volunteers assist in a variety of areas during Museum-sponsored events throughout the year, such as exhibit openings, lectures, fundraising events, etc.
In addition to the satisfaction of working at a world-class Museum and meeting people who share a love of history and the community, volunteers will receive a FREE annual membership to the Museum that includes:
- Unlimited free admission for one year for Volunteer
- 20% discount on Museum shop purchases.
- Invitation to exclusive Members Only events, including exhibition previews.
- Priority notice and seating for all lectures and community programs.
- Subscription to Museum newsletter.
- Opportunities to participate in continuing education trips and lectures.
Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator, at 770.427.2117, extension 3169 or email@example.com for more information about volunteer opportunities at the Southern Museum.