Portraits in Gray: A Civil War Photography Exhibition
Featuring the collection of David Wynn Vaughan.
The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History is currently seeking venues wishing to showcase the traveling exhibit Portraits in Gray: A Civil War Photography Exhibition. This unique exhibit features seventy images from the private collection of David Wynn Vaughan broken down into ten thematic sections, each of which illustrates an aspect of life faced by the Confederate soldier being photographed. Investigating such aspects as period clothing, the age of Civil War combatants, and the shared trauma experienced by family members sent to war together, Portraits in Gray is a poignant, sobering look at a war whose public memory is too often dedicated to its military pageantry rather than its humanity.
- Multi-themed gallery featuring the large and rare collection of David Wynn Vaughan
- 12-week booking period
- Rental Fee: $5,000, plus outbound shipping
- Perfect for you institution's Civil War Sesquicentennial commemoration
- Customizable layout: easy to install and enhance
- A visual, educational, and moving experience for patrons
Portraits in Gray is currently touring and the Southern Museum is looking for additional venues to host this wonderful exhibition.
Exhibition fee: 12 week booking $5,000
Contents: 4 crates, weighing: 960 lbs
Total Running feet: 135
- 70 Reproduction framed four-color photographs of Confederate images of soldiers from the David Wynn Vaughan collection (54) 16" x 20" and (16) 14" x 18" sizes.
- 10 thematic text panels 26 1/4" x 30"
- 1 panel 82" x 60" reproduction painting of the Georgia Military Institute campus courtesy of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources; A.H. Stephens State Historic Park.
- 5 banners 33 1/4" x 81" (1) exhibit introduction and (4) thematic banners
- 1 reproduction stereo viewer with cards
Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History
2829 Cherokee Street NW
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Curator: 770.427.2117, extension 3180, firstname.lastname@example.org
*Images courtesy of David Wynn Vaughan. Actual gallery images are much larger and of greater quality.
Response to Portraits in Gray
“Amazing. It is as if those pictured will speak if you want to hear them. The stories bring history to life. Truly a treasured collection.”
— Joan Fountain, Jonesboro Ga.
“An absolutely amazing collection of photographs- thank you for sharing this very interesting piece of the great drama that is known as the Civil War.”
— Lynn Navarvo- Ocala, Ill.
“Excellent presentation and portal of history pictorially correct with marvelous short written narrative. Thanks for the attention to detail.”
— Bud Moore, Ft. Lauderdale Fla.