Library and Archives Collections
The Archives at the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History house a significant collection of company records, engineering drawings, blueprints, glass plate negatives, photographs and correspondence from various American businesses representing the railroad industry in the South after the Civil War. The Archives also contains a growing collection of Civil War letters, diaries, and official records.
Civil War Archives Collections:
- Civil War Archives collection
Miscellaneous individual and family Civil War collections include correspondence, military papers, Confederate Veteran Magazines, articles, historical currency, maps, ephemera, and more.
- The Family of Wilson W. Brown Collection
Series consists of certificate of U.S. Army Records issued by the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic), newspaper articles regarding Mr.Brown’s participation in the Great Locomotive Chase (also known as Andrews Raid and The Mitchel Raid), photographs, Raiders’ reunion, correspondence and Mr. Wilson’s manuscript.
Civil War Library Holdings:
Non-circulating library research only
- Ellison Collection
- Kennesaw Museum Foundation Collection: George Wray Civil War Library Collection
- Nina C. Frey Collection: “Campfire and Battlefields”
- Raymond G. Jacobsmeyer Collection
Railroad Archives Collections:
- J. L. Fergus, Jr. Collection: East Tennessee & Georgia Railroad, Louisville & Nashville Railway, Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway, and Western & Atlantic Railroad
Series consists of annual reports, books, bylaws, letterhead stationery, blueprints, drawings, maps, correspondence, reports, catalogs, organization charts, and CDs of photo information and DVD of The General Locomotive at Nashville, Tennessee in 1962.
- William Peter Silcox Collection
Series consists of documents and items ranging from 1862-1990. The collection includes CSX System Map, Tonnage Chart, and Inspection Report; and Various Booklets/Pamphlets, Railroad Currency, Railroad Track Profiles, Valuation Section Reports to the Interstate Commerce Commission and related books.
- Pete Silcox Book Collection: Rights of Trains on Single Track, 1904
Series consists of one book. Forman, Harry W. Rights of Trains on Single Track : A Complete Examination for Employees on the Standard Code and Other Recommended Train Rules, Railroad Gazette, New York, 1904.
- William G. Neely Collection of Railroad Bonds, Currency, Stock Certificates and Books
Series consists of papers representing various railroads operating in Georgia including bonds, currency, mortgage loans, stock certificates, 1839 – 1910, and books
Glover Machine Works Collection:
Glover Machine Works: Bo Glover Collections
- Business Records Collection
Organizational History of the Glover Machine Works 1895-1995 including Glover Machine Works Builder's Files; Locomotive Specifications; Photographs/Postcards/Builder's Illustrations/Advertising Photograph's/Designers-Engravers-Printers-Proofs/Glover Machine Works Shop and Foundry Photographs; Time Books/Payroll Journals/Cash Books/Accounting Journals/Ledger for Glover Steel Company, dated 1887-1937; Glover Machine Steel Company Daily Time Records, dated 1897-1935; and Glover Machine Works Alpha Invoice, insurance, and Miscellaneous Files, Superior Invoices, and Customer Orders.
- Catalog/Supplements Collection
Collection consists of over 500 trade catalogs that were requested by the Glover Machine Works during the course of their business operations between 1890 and 1960.
- Glass Plate Negative Collection
The Glover Photograph Collection, which is comprised of over 800 glass plate negatives and thousands of photographs, contains images of Glover family gatherings, Glover engines at work in various settings, non-railroad related equipment manufactured at the Glover Machine Works, and photographs of workers and machinery in the interior of the Glover plant.
- Personal Correspondence
Series consists of personal correspondence and business correspondence of the Glover family and Glover Machine Works between 1859 and 1968.
Glover Machine Works: Ersie & Polly Hamby Collection
- Ersie & Polly Hamby Collection
Newspaper clipping of “Historic Highlights in Cobb County: The Glover Machine Works Local and International” from Marietta Daily Journal, undated.
Col. James G. Bogle Collection:
- Col. James G. Bogle collection
Series includes Trains Magazines and Railroad Passes; Western & Atlantic History of W&A Locomotives; Timetables/Schedules; Making of the Great Locomotive Chase Movie, Walt Disney & Wilbur G. Kurtz Collection; Railroad Engineering Drawings Collection; Various Civil War and Train Prints & Lithographs Including Wilbur G. Kurtz; Civil War and Railroad Map Collection; I.C.C. (Interstate Commerce Commission) Accident Investigation Reports, 1918 – 1970; and Wilbur G. Kurtz Newspaper Articles.
David W. Salter Collection:
- David W. Salter collection
The David W. Salter Collection consists of 47,021 items including railroad related photographs, negatives, slides, timetables/schedules, maps, posters, books including Official Guides, correspondence and model trains of various scales.
Cotton Industry Related Collections:
- Glover Machine Works Collection: Wood Gummer and Filer Company Business Records Collection
- Roger Gee Collection: “Georgia Ginners’ Brown Book, 1954, First Edition”
- Earl Bennett Collection: Merci Train
- Merci Boxcar Archives
Artificial collection curated by the Southern Museum staff during their research of the "French Gratitude Train"/Merci Boxcar. Materials include photographs, press release kit, newspaper articles, correspondence, and other ephemera.
- Merci Car Article by Ava Wilkey
- Archives Lateral File
Railroad Library Holdings:
- Ellison Collection
- Poor’s Manual of Railroads Railroad Related Library Collection
- Railway & Locomotive Historical Society Magazine
- Wallace Haywood Collection
The following websites may offer additional resources for your research.
- Center for Railroad Photography & Art
- Georgia Historical Society
- Georgia Archives
- Atlanta History Center
- The National Archives
- The Railroad Retirement Board
- Bartow History Center
- The Center For Civil War Photography
- The James N. Gillum Archives of Norfolk & Western Historical Society
Archives/Library Use Fee:
Research at the Southern Museum Archives & Library is free to members of the Museum Foundation but there is an archives fee of $10.00 per day for non-members. The fee is for the research, not for the result; you must pay the fee whether or not we find exactly what you want.